This is the website for the Oakville council for Special Olympics Ontario. It was created:
- as a method for the individual clubs to communicate club events to club members, and their caregivers.
- as a tool to reach potential volunteers and athletes for our Special Olympics programs.
- for the enjoyment of our athletes.
The aim was to create a site from which information can be found quickly; and a site
which is easy to maintain.
This page is the responsibility of the Webmaster,
with backup support from other members on council.
The email for ALL updates to this website is
NOT the personal email of the
person known to be the webmaster. This is so that important updates are not lost
or delayed in the event of illness or vacation!
General format and content:
The website has a layered design. There are currently five pages at the top level,
and each page has a menu bar for navigating between these five:
- This serves as the home page for the entire website. It summarizes some contact
information and important bulletins; the rest of the page is a summary of all
Oakville SO clubs associated with this council.
The summary includes a link to the home page of each sport club.
- This is new, fall of 2009. It is makes use of Google's calendar.
Each club has a calendar on which to enter relevant dates. The Calendar page
is a combination of all club calendars.
- This page may contain announcements and other information.
- This page lists contact information for the current SOO Oakville community council.
Postal addresses and web sites for Special Olympics at the Provincial, National,
and World level are listed. A few other websites of interest are included, but
there is no attempt to make this a comprehensive list as that would be difficult to maintain.
- Links to collections of pictures. Most of these collections are also linked from
their individual club pages; and in fact will link back to their specific club.
- Athlete names never accompany the photos.
- Coach's Corner
- This page contains links and informations of interestt to club coaches
and managers only.
Pages for individual clubs
Each sport club will have a home page with at least the following:
- A link back to the overall home page
- A Club Statement
- Name and contact information for the club. This is usually the Head Coach
or the Manager; frequently both are included.
- Day, Time, and Location
- Seasonal Fee
In addition many clubs include:
- Calendar for practices and competitions
- Information about club sponsors
- Links to pictures from past events
- Any other information which a club wishes to publish.
The Webmaster strives to keep the look and feel of the website
consistent, and also to respect accessibility guidelines. Outside of this
and the above guidelines individual clubs may have as much or as little
as they wish on their pages.